Fri, Sep 10|
The Mojave Center
8ft Dome Building + Plaster Workshop
Join us in the Mojave Desert where we will teach you the skills to build a small 8 ft dome out of materials from the earth.
Time & Location
Sep 10, 2021, 8:00 AM – Sep 15, 2021, 11:59 PM
The Mojave Center, Charleston View, CA, USA
About the Event
Earthen Dome Workshop/Training with Master builder - Cade Stevens and the staff of The Mojave Center
The objective of workshop:
The goal at the Mojave Center is to complete a 8ft wide dome in a superadobe construction style.
This building will serve many uses throughout its lifespan and bring the necessary energy to continue building natural structures on our land. Your energy will directly impact the Mojave desert in a positive way for many years to come.
This is a great opportunity if you are interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of the uses of superadobe building techniques to create earthen domes but are unable to stay for months on end the extended program is the perfect opportunity.
- 7 Day Natural Building Workshop - Full Course with complete experience and practice. Food Included.
Weekly Curriculum Breakdown:
*This curriculum can slightly change due to various factors
1- Introductions to Design and Foundations:
(site overview, community ethics, soil-testing, material sourcing, foundations & arches, site safety/setup, laying foundations)
2 - Technique of Build:
(Laying technique, forms, plumbing and electrical tutorial, design fundamentals)
3 - Design and Development:
(Designing your own home and personal build project)
4- Basic plaster introduction :
(Mix, Technique + application)
Instructor Cade Stevens Bio:
Cade has been a certified Calearth instructor since 2016 and obtained the lead instructor role at Calearth beginning January 2020. He's been an Iinstructor/consultant for establishment of Calearth sister school at Rancho Uha located in San Luis de la Paz, Guanajuato, Mexico Natural disaster relief work in Ixtepec, Oaxaca where he guided 15 students on building a 300sqft structure built for family who lost everything in earthquake. Additionally, Cade instructed/consultanted for Plenitud Puerto Rico. He taught & built on site for the entirety of January 2020. He also has experience providing and guiding curriculum remotely for 3 week intensive courses. Cade has built countless domes in various countries and his passion revolving around natural building eminates through his teachings. We can't think of a better instructor to lead this course than our collegue Cade.
What to expect, what to bring, where to go, listed in the packet below! :)
Logistics for workshop:
- Bathroom and showers available
- Please bring your own camper/shelter
- Community Canvas Shelter, Shipping Container, Utility Trailer for common area shelter
- Power is available
- Service is LTE and widely available
- Bring plenty of work clothes/closed-toed shoes/2x leather gardening gloves/1x working gloves
- 10 positions available
This is an amazing experience for individuals to participate in the creation of a self-reliant and off-grid center in the Mojave desert. We encourage you to ask any questions and please RSVP for the event.
- 7 Day Full Experience
- Experience from foundation to finish off an earthen dome
- Professional instruction by Master builder Cade Stevens and The Mojave Center staff
- Optional recreation days with date farm tours, hot springs, and dance parties
- Guest appearances and practices by regional Yoga instructors
- Meals during course
$700 for Course
- $350 deposit to acquire spot due 9/3/2021
- Full payment required upon arrival
- In your payment please put the course dates in the "what's it for" section
- Payment Method - Venmo (mojavecenter) or Paypal (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alumni enjoy 25% off
- Bring a friend & enjoy 15% off
- Sept 10th, 2021- Sept 16th, 2021
- Course begins at 8am on Sept 10th. Please arrive the night prior. We will be starting promptly at 8am.
**Cancellation policy: if you need to cancel last minute we will refund 75% of payment.
Covid Protocols : As vaccines become more available to the general public, we are adjusting our covid protocols accordingly. Vaccines or wearing a mask is not mandatory, but is encouraged if it makes you feel safer when entering our educational center. We will be completely outdoors the entire workshop UNLESS the weather acts up, then we will move our classroom indoors. If we need to move indoors masks will be worn if we are closer than 6ft in distance to allow everyone to feel comfortable and safe. Everyone is to bring their own plate, bowl & eating utensils to ensure that we are not sharing eating wear. All of our food will be prepared by Mojave staff with extra care. This helps us ensures the safety of our students as we believe eating & gathering in community is a vital part of our workshop.