Tue, Apr 06|
The Mojave Center
Open Build (Finishing the DOME)
Join us in the Mojave Desert where we will teach you a portion of the skills necessary to build a dome using the SUPERADOBE DOME method. Click READ MORE BELOW!
Time & Location
Apr 06, 2021, 8:00 AM – Apr 10, 2021, 12:00 PM
The Mojave Center, Charleston View, CA, USA
About the Event
Earthen Dome OPEN BUILD
This is not a workshop. There is no guided curriculum, instructors or lectures, this is an open build period where we are calling in friends & hands who want to learn techniques on the Superadobe dome method of building.
For this Open Build, we need all hands on deck. We have a large earthen dome that needs to be completed before our plaster workshop begins April 18th. This is a work trade with a minimum stay requirement of 5 days. We need to ensure that the time were are spending on training individuals on the tasks needed for earthen building are well invested. Once you have completed 5 day trial, we can then have another conversation about extending your stay for the April 12-17th open build period if willing!
While this experience is intensive, you will have an amazing opportunity to have a crash-course on advanced earthen dome building techniques. We need individuals to be ready physically and mentally to complete the dome by April 18th. This is a great opportunity if you are interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of the uses of superadobe building techniques to create earthen domes but are unable to stay for months on end the extended program is the perfect opportunity.
Earthen Dome OPEN BUILD Worktrade Date Options:
April 6 - 10th (training on the 6th)
April 12 - 17th (training on the 12th)
- 4 hours of building each day
- Building tasks are; earth mixing, bagging, shoveling, compass & geometry of dome navigation, etc.
- Stay is at minimum 5 days
- MUST BE OK WITH HEIGHTS & have balance skills.
- This work is labor intensive & we are at a point in our dome where we are walking on scaffolding that is close to 11ft high and will only go higher. We also endure high winds out here in this portion of the desert.
- Do not need to have building/construction experience
- Food is on your own but will be eaten in a community setting
- Please bring cooking equipment for this trade, we have some community cooking spaces available but please be prepared to be self sufficient.
- Learn Calearth building skills on how to build an earthen dome home
- Participate in group dynamics and community environment
- Beautiful desert land for lodging/camping
To reiderate, this is not a workshop with course curriculum from the CalEarth or The Mojave Center Staff, this is strictly a work trade. Come learn hands on skills and get a taste of natural building!
Logistics for workshop:
- Bathroom and showers available
- Please bring your own camper/shelter that will withhold in the WIND!
- Bring your own food and please be prepared to cook on your own. Dinners can be eaten in a community setting.
- Community Canvas Shelter, Shipping Container, Utility Trailer for common area shelter
- Charging Power is available
- Service is LTE and widely available
- Bring plenty of work clothes/closed-toed shoes/2x leather gardening gloves/1x working gloves
This is an amazing experience for individuals to participate in the creation of a self-reliant and off-grid center in the Mojave desert. We encourage you to ask any questions and please RSVP for the event.
- 5 Day Experience
- Learn skills on Superadobe Dome Building
- Professional instruction by The Mojave Center staff
THIS TRADE IS FREE
We will require you to fill out a Medical & Liability form prior to arrival as well as take a Covid Test.
Covid Protocols :
In order to keep everyone safe & feeling at ease we are requiring a covid test upon arriving to the land. By requiring test upon arrival we can then let up on our mask policies allowing those who choose to wear a mask to wear one but it is not mandatory. We will be completely outdoors the entire workshop UNLESS the weather acts up, we will move our classroom indoors. If we need to move indoors our testing policy will allow everyone to feel comfortable and safe. Everyone is to bring their own plate, bowl & eating utensils to ensure that we are not sharing eating wear. With testing we are requiring a 5 day quarentine that is mandatory upon arriving to our land. This helps us ensures the safety of our students as we believe eating & gathering in community is a vital part of our workshop.
*You must be able to receive a COVID-19 Test with Negative results prior to arrival for all workaway trades.
*You will be not be allowed at The Mojave Center if you do not follow our testing guidelines*
*Do not let our testing guidelines defer you from attempting to work here at The Mojave Center. As an environmental educational center we inherently respect everyones’ beliefs, opinions, and perspectives in relation to the global pandemic. However, we are also a professional entity that runs professional courses based on a positive and safe learning environment. In order to keep everyone physically and emotionally safe we need to act as cautious as possible to prevent the spread of COVID-19*
If you have any questions about our testing protocols please feel free to reach out to have a longer conversation.