Fri, Oct 15|
The Mojave Center
Straw Bale Build Continued (Doors, Windows + Details)
Join us in the Mojave Desert where we will teach you the skills to build a small straw bale structure out of materials from the earth. We will focus primarily on doors, windows and small finish details.
Time & Location
Oct 15, 2021, 8:00 AM – Oct 20, 2021, 11:59 PM
The Mojave Center, Charleston View, CA, USA
About the Event
Earthen Strawbale Workshop/Training with Master builder - Nathan Wright and the staff of The Mojave Center
The objective of workshop:
The goal at the Mojave Center is to continue on a 15ft x 10ft structure in a strawbale natural building method.
This building will serve many uses throughout its lifespan and bring the necessary energy to continue building natural structures on our land. Your energy will directly impact the Mojave desert in a positive way for many years to come.
This is a great opportunity if you are interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of the uses of natural building techniques to create earthen domes but are unable to stay for months on end the extended program is the perfect opportunity.
- 6 Day Natural Building Workshop - Full Course with complete experience and practice. Food Included.
Instructor Nathan Wright Bio:
Hello I’m Nathan, Natural Installation Specialist and Artist. I am currently working for Simple Construct. They are a renowned natural building company, installing natural plasters and building straw straw-bale homes in Southern California for over 17 years. I have been building with earth since 2014 during my first apprenticeship with Cal- Earth Institute. There I found not only a passion for building with natural materials, but a love for how they are finished with an array of different plasters. This lead me to take courses at The Canjelo Project as well as American Clay Inc. where I witnessed more of the beautiful things one can do with render. From there I started working on multiple projects with great artists like, Sherin Guirguis in Palm Springs, to building a medicine studio dome for Lisa Starr at Bonita domes in Joshua tree CA.
It’s been an honor to work along side so many great people through years and as I start to venture into starting a business of my own ( Earth to Home) I am very excited for what is to come in the future!
What to expect, what to bring and where to go, listed in the packet below! :)
Natural Building Informational Packet
Logistics for workshop:
- Bathroom and showers available
- Please bring your own camper/shelter
- Community Canvas Shelter, Shipping Container, Utility Trailer for common area shelter
- Power is available
- Service is LTE and widely available
- Bring plenty of work clothes/closed-toed shoes/2x leather gardening gloves/1x working gloves
- 10 positions available
This is an amazing experience for individuals to participate in the creation of a self-reliant and off-grid center in the Mojave desert. We encourage you to ask any questions and please RSVP for the event.
- 6 Day Full Experience
- Experience roofing, doors, and small details on any strawbale.
- Professional instruction by Master builder Nathan Wright and The Mojave Center staff
- Optional recreation days with rock climbing, date farm tours, hot springs, and dance parties
- Guest appearances and practices by regional Yoga instructors
- Meals during course
$600 for Course
- $300 deposit to acquire spot due 10/8/21
- Full payment required upon arrival
- In your payment please put the course dates in the "what's it for" section
- Payment Method - Venmo (mojavecenter) or Paypal (email@example.com)
- Alumni enjoy 25% off
- Bring a friend & enjoy 15% off
- Oct 15th, 2021- Oct 20th, 2021
- Course begins at 8am on Oct 15th. Please arrive the night prior.
*Cancellation policy: if you need to cancel last minute we will refund 75% of payment.
Covid Protocols : As vaccines become more available to the general public, we are adjusting our covid protocols accordingly. Vaccines or wearing a mask is not mandatory, but is encouraged if it makes you feel safer when entering our educational center. We will be completely outdoors the entire workshop UNLESS the weather acts up, then we will move our classroom indoors. If we need to move indoors masks will be worn if we are closer than 6ft in distance to allow everyone to feel comfortable and safe. Everyone is to bring their own plate, bowl & eating utensils to ensure that we are not sharing eating wear. All of our food will be prepared by Mojave staff with extra care. This helps us ensures the safety of our students as we believe eating & gathering in community is a vital part of our workshop.