Fri, Oct 29|
The Mojave Center
SuperAdobe Basics + Plaster Workshop
Get a taste of the super adobe building basics + plaster workshop! CLICK READ MORE BELOW!
Time & Location
Oct 29, 2021, 8:00 AM – Oct 31, 2021, 12:00 PM
The Mojave Center, Charleston View, CA, USA
About the Event
Earthen Dome Plaster Workshop
The objective of workshop:
The goal at the Mojave Center is to teach you the superadobe building method as well as get a base plaster coat on a few wall structures on the MC Property. The structures are already built and onsite. These buildings will serve many uses throughout its lifespan and bring the necessary energy to continue building natural structures on our land. Your energy will directly impact the Mojave desert in a positive way for many years to come.
This is a great opportunity if you are interested in gaining a more in-depth understanding of the uses of natural building techniques to create earthen domes & strawbale structures.
As a course participant, you will gain all the necessary knowledge to use a earthen & plaster mixture that will translate across many different types of natural building. During the 6 days you will be fully supported & working full-time with The Mojave Center staff and the building instructor team.
- 3 Day Building + Plaster Workshop - Full Course with complete experience and practice. Food Included.
Learn Skills on:
-Plaster History & Theory
-Plaster in the Modern World
-Earth/Lime Plaste Mix Formula
-Mechanical Adhesion (Base Coat)
-Bonding + Adhesions
-Hands on Plaster Practice on a Superadobe Dome!
Instructors : The MC Staff
Ian: Outdoor Educator, Permaculture Designer, Wilderness First Responder, BS Tourism + Outdoor Leadership, AA Cultural Anthropology/Archaeology, Superadobe Natural Builder
Nick: Outdoor Educator, Wilderness First Responder, BS Early Interdisciplinary Studies, Leave No Trace Trainer, Superadobe Natural Builder
Nicolette: Marketing + Photography, Creative Designer, BS in Drafting + Design, Superadobe Natural Builder
What to expect, what to bring, where to go, listed in the packet below! :)
Logistics for workshop:
- Bathroom and showers available
- Please bring your own camper/shelter
- Community Canvas Shelter, Shipping Container, Utility Trailer for common area shelter
- Power is available
- Service is LTE and widely available
- Bring plenty of work clothes/closed-toed shoes/2x leather gardening gloves/1x working gloves
- 10 positions available
This is an amazing experience for individuals to participate in the creation of a self-reliant and off-grid center in the Mojave desert. We encourage you to ask any questions and please RSVP for the event.
- 3 Day Full Experience
- Learn plaster adhering method & mixing
- Professional instruction by Master Plasterer Nathan and The Mojave Center staff
- Optional recreation days with rock climbing, date farm tours, hot springs, and dance parties
- Guest appearances and practices by regional Yoga instructors
- Meals during course
$300 for Course
- $300 payment to acquire spot due 10/22/21
- Full payment required upon arrival
- In your payment please put the course dates in the "what's it for" section
- Payment Method - Venmo (mojavecenter) or Paypal (email@example.com)
- Alumni enjoy 25% off
- Bring a friend & enjoy 15% off
- Oct 29th, 2021 - Oct 31st, 2021
- Course begins at 8am on the 29th. Please arrive the night prior!
- Halloween Celebration on Oct 31st to cap our last workshop of the Fall Season!
- Closing Ceremony & lessons to follow on Nov 1st to recognize Indigenous Hertiage Month
*Cancellation policy: if you need to cancel last minute we will refund 75% of payment.
Covid Protocols : As vaccines become more available to the general public, we are adjusting our covid protocols accordingly. Vaccines or wearing a mask is not mandatory, but is encouraged if it makes you feel safer when entering our educational center. We will be completely outdoors the entire workshop UNLESS the weather acts up, then we will move our classroom indoors. If we need to move indoors masks will be worn if we are closer than 6ft in distance to allow everyone to feel comfortable and safe. Everyone is to bring their own plate, bowl & eating utensils to ensure that we are not sharing eating wear. All of our food will be prepared by Mojave staff with extra care. This helps us ensures the safety of our students as we believe eating & gathering in community is a vital part of our workshop.